Monday, July 4, 2011

No Pictures Please!

And so, there will be none.  For I just returned from a Gordon Research Conference, where there are no published abstracts, conference proceedings, or papers.  Just the sharing of research at the frontier of the field.  Pretty exciting, yes?  Well, I certainly thought so. Particularly since I met leaders in my field whose work is shaping how I frame my own.  More than that, I interacted with scientists from all stages in their academic careers and from multiple continents.  With that much diversity in thought, it was difficult not to fall in love (again) with science. 

This conference was a series of contrasts for me.  I walked away both ravenous and sated, vindicated and vulnerable, academic and motherly.  After five days away, I still attempt to maintain the balance between  these polar opposites. Science completely fascinates me, the pursuit of which has always seemed to be a single player sport. Yet my family (husband and son) continue to captivate me with their unending curiosity.  I realized at this conference that these two are not at odds, my scientific community and family. Rather, they are complementary.  Together, we are curious about the world.  Not to find THE answer, but because the world is an exciting series of mysteries to be unlocked.  And what better way to be a scientist and/or parent than to journey with others on grand investigations?

No comments:

Post a Comment